“Dad, I did it!”. ”Did what?”, I exclaimed. ”I completed the game Dad! Dangerous Hunts 2013! I beat the Black Lion!” ”Wow, that’s awesome son! So, what do you do next?”, I said. He thought for a minute and said, “you do it all over again” as he quickly returned to his game.
As I pondered this quick discussion, God put the following on my heart to share. My prayer is that is will speak to your heart as it has mine.
In a nutshell, this quest to gain satisfaction/victory/delight is the biggest challenge/opportunity people face this side of Heaven. You see, we are hard wired with a longing for God. Scripture tells us that, “God has set eternity in the heart of man”. (Ecclesiastes 3:11) He is the only One who can fulfill the desires of our heart.
Psalm 37:4 “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
Unfortunately, like my son, we often seek to fulfill this longing with the things of the world that I will refer to as “delight traps”. We will pour our time and energy into activities with the end goal of delight/victory/satisfaction. Sometimes, we do win and the euphoria of the moment is incredible! However, it always passes and we are quickly back in the same mindless activity/game we started in with hopes of repeated euphoria. I am reminded of the song, “I can’t get no satisfaction”.
Delight Traps to BeWare of:
1) Career – Climbing the corporate ladder can easily become an idol or primary place of delight.
2) Sports – Victory’s are short lived. Bet you can’t tell me who won the Super Bowl 5 years ago if you don’t live in that city.
3) Money – It’s never enough. It’s all vanity, like chasing the wind.
4) Sex – A gift to husbands and wives that enhances oneness with each other within the marriage relationship. Sex is not to be worshipped. It is to be enjoyed as a gift from God.
5) Hobbies – Meant to enhance, not rob God of time and resources. We worship Him, not the activity. Time, money and resources tell the story here.
6) Lifestyle – Bigger is not always better. There is great joy in simplicity.
7) Church – We worship God, not the building, pastor, activities, or our own piety.
Friendships – A gift to enhance our relationship with God through Godly accountability. This is not a place to backbite/gossip and comfort one another in sin. Friendships can quickly become idols. We must be careful not to prioritize friendships over time with God or our spouse.
9) Marriage – Husbands are to honor their wives sacrificially and wives are to submit to their husbands in Love. We are not to worship one another. God is to be worshipped as we reflect His image in our marriage.
10) Education – If I just get one more degree, I will be satisfied. All of us know at least one professional student.
11) Kids – Many people worship their kids today. Kids are a gift from God and are to be enjoyed and treasured. They are on loan to us as their earthly parents. They are not ours. They are God’s possession. We are to train them up to worship Him Alone. We are not to worship our kids as an idol. God gets the Glory when they achieve and fail, not the Kid and not Us.
12) working out – exercise or working out is wonderful and can enhance our mood and relationship with God as we take good care of the temple of the Holy Spirit. That said, when it becomes our obsession, it is an idol. Scripture tells us that bodily discipline is of little value, but training in godliness bears fruit for eternity.
Paul spoke of our nature to worship the creation in lieu of THE CREATOR in Romans 1:25. ”For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever, Amen.
Questions to Ponder:
Where do you find your delight/victory/satisfaction? What is your video game that you keep going back to?
Are you falling into one or more of the delight traps noted above?
Scripture is clear. Our delight is found in God and Him Alone. He is the only One who can satisfy the desires of our heart!
Pray with me!
“Jesus, forgive me for falling into the false delight trap. Lord, I need your forgiveness and power to set me back on the path of righteousness that leads to life. God, enable me supernaturally, to delight in You by the power of Your Word and Your work of the cross. I desire You God above all things! Lord, remove the distractions from my life. You are the only One that satisfies as I take delight in You Alone. Lord, one day, I will spend eternity in your presence based on my trust in your Son Jesus for the forgiveness of my sins. Father, on that day and for all of eternity, Your light will outshine even the brightest stars of heaven. God, I look forward to that day, when all the temporary desires of my flesh and this world are banished forever. Your presence and Love are forever mine! Amen!”
Bed Time afterthought.
Lane and I talked about the mindless circle/game that the world/satan desires to keep us on tonight. We can all easily get caught in the delight traps noted above if we don’t purposefully and prayerfully ask God to supernaturally enable us to abide in Him.
I am grateful that Lane conquered the black lion on dangerous hunts 2013 today, because it gave me the opportunity to talk about the things of God with him and write this blog tonight. God truly works all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.
If you are caught in a false delight trap, won’t you call on the name of Jesus tonight! His arms are open. ”Come to me all ye who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.”
Much Agape Love to all!