On Sunday morning, I called my family into the living room for a time of teaching and discussion based on God’s word.
I pointed out the window referring to a tree in our backyard that has two large branches that have not budded leaves this year.
“What do you think those branches in that tree are good for?”, I asked. My son Lane quickly responded, “firewood”. “Exactly! If you don’t want to wind up like those branches, you need to pay attention to what God’s word has to say today,” I exclaimed.
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it, that it may bear more fruit.” John 15:1-2
1) Jesus is the True Vine. 2) God the Father in the vinedresser. 3) We are the branches.
Fruit’s of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control. The ultimate Fruit in our lives is witnessed when others come to Jesus through our daily witness. Yes, when people get saved, the angels rejoice!
1) God takes away those who do not bear fruit. They are removed from God’s presence. They are cut off.
2) God prunes those who bear fruit, so that they may produce even more fruit.
3) Pruning is a good thing.
4) If you are going through difficulties and clinging to Jesus, know that God is removing dead weight from your life. He is pruning you. Know that God is growing you and making you more like Him. He is building your character, so that you will bear even more fruit for the Kingdom. Don’t miss the opportunity to grow during times of pruning.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
1) If you abide in Jesus, you will bear much fruit.
2) Jesus is The Vine. He is the One who provides us with living water that enables us to produce much fruit.
3) Apart from abiding in Jesus, we can do nothing. We are rendered useless for the Kingdom.
“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.”
1) If we go our own way and do not abide in Jesus, we will wither up and die.
2) If we reject the True Vine (Jesus) by going our own way and do not abide in Him, we will be thrown into the fire.
3) If we reject the True Vine (Jesus) by going our own way and do not abide in Him, we are useless to God.
“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” John 15: 7-8
1) If we abide in Christ Jesus by receiving His living word, our will is aligned with God’s will and our prayers will be answered.
2) If we abide in Christ Jesus, we bring Glory to God The Father by bearing much fruit.
3) If we abide in Christ Jesus by receiving and obeying His words, we prove to be His disciples.
Are you bearing Fruit?
Are the fruits of the Spirit evident in your attitudes at home, Church and place of business? Are you allowing God to use you as a witness to win people for the Kingdom? If not, you need to do some serious soul searching. Could you be like the two branches perched atop the trunk of the tree in my backyard that are clearly dead and ready to be blown off with the slightest gust of wind?
Are the following attitudes evident in your life?
Fruit’s of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control. The ultimate Fruit in our lives is witnessed when others come to Jesus through our daily witness. Yes, when people get saved by God’s grace and mercy, the angels rejoice!
The world is full of people who claim to be Christians, but there is little to no evidence of Fruit in their lives. This passage opens our eyes to the truth that there are dead branches amongst us that will be cut off, thrown away and burned up.
We also know based on the scriptures that many will be surprised when Jesus renders the words, “away from me, I never knew you”. Yes, at the judgement, there will be many who think they will be saved by good works and church attendance.
Reality is that many people name the name of Christ, but live a life unto themselves. The lusts of the world are prioritized over God’s word and prayer. What a sad day that will be when the dead branches are gathered up and thrown away! You can’t serve two masters. Choose this day whom you will serve.
We do not have to work harder in order to bear fruit. We simply must abide in God’s living word and spend time in prayer at the feet of Jesus. Our ultimate fulfillment in life is found through abiding in Christ Jesus! He is our fountain of Living Water that wells up unto eternal life!
If you Love Me, you will obey my commands.
God calls us to pick up our cross daily and follow Him in obedience to His commands. He calls us to (abide) in the Living Vine (Jesus). When we abide, we experience the joy of producing eternal fruit and bringing Glory to God. Yes, our Joy is “made full” when we abide in Christ Jesus!
The disciple of Christ will bear fruit. This is God’s promise when we abide in Jesus.
We will not be perfect this side of heaven. However, we can’t spend time feasting on God’s Living Word and in prayer (abiding) without fruitful attitudes being evident in our lives.
Praise God that the Fruit is not dependent on our energy and strength! Praise God that the True Vine, (Jesus) supplies us with Living Water that wells up unto Eternal Fruit! Praise God that when we abide, we are strengthened to withstand the strongest storms of life.
Will you abide?